Monday, March 11, 2013

Fun Things to Do and Something to Think About: Ice Cream In a Bag, Marshallow Shooters, Shoe Rack and Looking Fancy on the Outside

Hey, it's:

I have a mismatched variety of things to share today...from home to fun stuff I've down with my boys (with lots of pictures) to something a little deeper to think about (since I didn't find time to write it at the end of last week).  Variety is the spice of life right?!

Today I'm sharing 4 ideas:

1. Ice Cream in a Bag
2. Mini-Marshmallow Shooters
3. Shoe Rack...stop tripping over shoes on the floor!!
4. Something to think about: Being Fancy on the Outside

These first activities will give you (and/or your kids) something fun to do if you're still getting winter weather like we are here in Beranville.  This was the view from my front porch this morning.  A bit different than the one on the header of this blog, huh?!
 
This past week we made ice cream.  Perfect treat on a cold day, right?!  Hey, ice cream is good any time.  :)
 
Ice Cream in a Bag
 
My boys were so excited to make this simple, FUN recipe together.  Here we had almost everything we needed for our homemade ice cream.  Ice, milk, 1 quart Ziploc bag, an old coffee can (or you could use a gallon Ziploc bag) and sugar. You will also need vanilla and salt.
 
http://beranville.blogspot.com
 
I put one cup of milk in the quart Ziploc bag.  I added two Tablespoons of sugar.
My littlest guy added 2 teaspoons of vanilla as big brother held the bag.

http://beranville.blogspot.com
 
I made sure the bag was sealed tightly.
The boys enjoyed shaking the bag, mixing the ingredients!

 
I filled the coffee can 1/2 way with ice.  And added a 1/2 cup of salt.
I happened to have some old canning salt on hand so I used that.
You could use ice cream salt or just plan ol' table salt.
 
 
My littlest man got to put the bag in the coffee can.
As I said before, you could use a gallon Ziploc bag, but I was concerned the rigid ice might make a hold in the outside bag...resulting in a big mess.  Besides, we had an old coffee can handy. It worked well and didn't leak at all.
 
Look at that concentration! :)
Now it was time to shake, shake, shake. 
 
 
We had to shake for 5 minutes straight.

www.beranville.blogspot.com

When we were done I cut off a corner of the bag and served it like soft serve.



Looks yummy, doesn't it?!

 
 
We added some sprinkles...and enjoyed the fruit of our labor! :)

 
Although it wasn't quite as good as the store bought stuff, the boys agreed they were proud of their accomplishment and had a blast making it.  We'll do this again.
 ~~~~~~~~~~
 
I saw this idea for making a 
Mini-Marshmallow Shooter
 
What a fun idea!
 
http://beranville.blogspot.com
I love this action shot!
http://beranville.blogspot.com
A little harder for small hands, but he managed
Please don't mind their messy play clothes,
they're making good, sometimes messy, memories! :)
All it took for each boy was 2 plastic cups (because the ones we had were flimsy, we used 2) and a balloon.  Tie a deflated balloon, cut the round end off (about 1/2 way up).  Cut two plastic cups in half.  Slip the balloon over the lip of the cups.  Fill with mini-marshmallows and fire!  Easy, cheap and lots of fun.  Guaranteed giggles...even for Mom!
 
Want more fun ideas?  Follow me on Pinterest or sign up for e-mail updates in the right hand sidebar!
 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Want something to do that's a little more grown up?  Here's another little project for thos of you who are tired of tripping over your shoes.
 
I had seen a picture of something similar on Facebook.  I have no idea who's page it was on or where it came from.  It was just a picture, no directions. From that picture I got an imagine in my mind and decided my husband and I could easily make one...and that we needed it.  He thought the idea sounded silly...until he saw the finished product!  No he loves it as much as I do.
 
Shoe Rack 

http://beranville.blogspot.com
 
http://beranville.blogspot.com
 
We happen to be remodelling our basement at the moment.  We had an extra trim board (yes the basement trim is much prettier in the basement than the trim upstairs, ie: in this hallway) left over.  It is about 6 1/2 feet long.
 
I bought 20 cheap hooks in the hardware section at Wal-Mart, enough to hang 10 pairs of shoes.  We mounted the trim board using screws and a level.  We then measured our board to figure out how many inches to place the hooks apart.  Measured the inches, marked it with a pencil, used a drill to attach the hooks. Wallah!  Simple really.
 
This gives us easy access to our most worn shoes as well as time for them to dry (on wet days) before being put in the closet.  So glad we're no longer tripping over shoes in this well travelled hallway!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Speaking of shoes...
 
Looking Fancy on the Outside
 
Last week my oldest little man (6) got a new pair of Sketchers.  Well, they're not exactly new.  They're a fabulous yard sale find that I'd stuffed away for the day he'd grow into them.  They're still a little on the big side, but he loves them so much that he wants to wear them regardless.
 
Anway, they're pretty cool Sketchers.  To make it even cooler little brother has a matching pair.
 
As my 6 year old inspected his newly beloved shoes he asked, "Mom, why is the S on the outside of my shoe sparkly silver and the one on the inside just plain gray?"  I said that was a good question, then explained (my assumption) that it's for show.  I told him other people more often see the outside of the shoe than the inside, so that's probably why the manufacturers chose to make them that way.  He figured they should make both the outside and inside "fancy".
 
 
I got to thinking about this.  Why do we work so hard at making the outside look fancy?
 
We do it all the time...
 
We gussy up our outside, hair, makeup and clothes, while neglecting our soul.
 
We show the world "out there" our good side and show those inside our own home (those we say we love and cherish the most) our ugly side.
 
We put up good appearances while we're falling apart inside...and our heart is crying for help.
 
We grin and bear it as we're bitterly fuming on the inside.
 
We exercise our bodies while starving our spirit of the time we need with God.
 
We can look so fancy on the outside, but the inside...Oh, the inside!  It's what matters most!
 
John 4:23-34 says, "...true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for those who will worship him that way.  For God is Spirit, so those who worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.”
 
P.S. There's nothing wrong with taking time to make your outside look good as long as your insides match!  :)
 
Want to learn about making All-Natural Homemade Lotion or 2 Ingredient Cookies?
Check out my other blog: Health In Beranville
 
If you like an idea on this post please share it with your friends using the bottons below.
 
Have questions?  Ideas?  What do you think?  Leave a comment.  I like hearing from friends both old and new.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, your kids are cute! Did you have a problem wit the lid coming off the can? Jo J

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I am unable to hit "reply" to your msg Jo J. Here's your response...

    No, but I told the boys to be very careful. They listened! :) Happy ice cream making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Thank you for sharing at our Pinning for Play link party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post and very useful information!Thank you for sharing.
    canada blackheads treatment

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!