Wednesday, September 1, 2010

But God...

Last Friday Alan and I celebrated our anniversary. It’s been six years since we said, “I do.”

Just look at us all bright eyed and bushy tailed...

The wedding ceremony had just ended, I laid my head down on
his shoulder. We were so happy (and Alan was thrilled to get 'er done). 
This is my favorite wedding picture.

We hadn’t known each other very long. We met on the internet, on a “Christian” website. Alan and I aren’t necessarily big advocates for internet dating, but in our case, it was simply the tool God used to bring us together. It was my first week on the website and Alan’s last. I only paid for one month. I often joke that, that was the best $9.99 I ever spent! :)

We met face to face at the end of April, got engaged at the end of June and married at the end of August. What a whirlwind romance! Yet, I was never more sure of anything in my life! Alan felt the same way, the first time we met he told a friend that he had just met the girl he was going to marry. It all seemed so crazy, but I knew God had brought Alan into my life. I knew, I just knew he was the answer to my prayers (and yes, I had been praying them)!

Some people couldn’t believe it when we said we were engaged…and getting married in 2 months. For me, marrying Alan would mean moving from Indiana where I was born and raised, to Iowa, 8 hours away. It would mean moving from town to a farm…being a farmer’s wife, something I knew very little about. I’m not normally one to make rash decisions, but I knew, I just knew, this was where God was directing me.

We were married on August 27, 2004. We had “Only God Could Love You More” sung. Although I believed those words to be true that day, it seems strange how much more true those words are today. I stood there looking at Alan as my brother sang the words of that song, thinking of the wild turn of events that had brought us to that day. It seemed like a dream, but I knew God had made it my reality.

We went to Cancun on our honeymoon. We learned a lot about one another and a bit about conflict resolution on that trip. He ended up with “Montezuma’s Revenge.” I lost one of the lenses from my prescription glasses (the ones I’m as blind as a bat without!!) in the Gulf of Mexico. Oh, the memories! :) Actually, it was a great trip with only a couple minor (okay slightly major) obstacles to overcome.  It was just the beginning of challenges that face all married couples, but God gave us the grace and wisdom we needed!

The months to follow were sometimes challenging and often very fun as we learned what married life was really all about. Sometimes the growth process can be hard, and we did a lot of growing, adjusting and changing as those first couple of years passed. We have faced some bumps in the road, but God continues to bless us, stretch us, and grow us…closer to one another and closer to Him! We have learned a lot about true love, sacrifice and patience. I can even drive a tractor now when I need to.  ;)



Six years…time flies when you’re having fun, sharing life with your best friend! Our images have changed a bit, we’ve matured in more ways than one. :) We’ve even added a couple of children to the mix, our two precious boys. Another abundant blessing! Ironically, Alan and I both feared that we wouldn’t be able to have children, but God had a different plan.

Andrew's busy learning new things...

Noah's showing off his first two teeth...

We are thankful because we know God brought us together, no doubt! We are thankful for all of God’s blessings as we’ve continued to seek Him! We are thankful because we know He holds our tomorrow as well! None of it would have been possible “…but nothing is impossible with God.” Luke 1:37

HAPPY 6th Anniversary, honey! It’s more true today than it was then, only God could love you more!! Here’s to 60 more!!  I love you!
 
What are you beliving God for right now?  What are you praying?  Let me tell you, meeting Alan didn't happen "fast enough" for me.  In the mean time, I tried taking things into my own hands...and made a big mess for myself.  When I stopped trying to do things on my own, and surrendered my life to Him, things changed for me!  Perhaps you know what you want your life to look like, but are you surrending it to God?  I'm a witness here to tell you, His plans are way better than ours!!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Rachel and Alan. And what a beautiful story about God's leading and provision. It was fun getting to know you a little better through the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a beautiful post. I agree with Kathy- it was great to read your story and see how God provided for both of you. It was so hard for me to wait for God to bring me my husband. I'm so thankful for the gift of him and reading this post reminded me of that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Rachel, I loved reading every word of the way you two met, your wedding, the honeymoon...all of it! I can hardly believe that you met online, except...our 21 year old son met his girlfriend in a Christian music chatroom online, and they've been going strong for 2 years.

    I totally understand about things not being "fast enough". I've been waiting sooooo long to hear back from publishers about my book proposal. My agent says that patience is a virtue, (and I agree!) but OH, I hate the waiting part. I feel myself getting antsy, even though I KNOW God's timing is perfect, and I TRUST that my times are in His hands. Like you said, walking it out can be a challenging.

    God bless you and your man on your 6th anniversary. May you celebrate many, many more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!