Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Beautiful Mother

Okay, so I’m a little behind on the Mother’s Day tribute. I know, I know, Mother’s Day was last week. Still, all week I was thinking about my mom. Look at her…This is my mom, Mary Margaret. She’s quite a lady!

Isn’t she beautiful?! When I was a little girl I remember looking up at her and thinking, “Wow, I have the most beautiful mom in the world!” I was right! She’s beautiful from the inside out.

She hasn’t always had an easy life. In fact, she’s dealt with a lot of heartache in her time. Still, through it all she’s kept the sweetest, most loving spirit. I’ve never met another soul like her. She is the definition of grace. She is the perfect balance of tenderness and strength.

She lives her life as an example of Jesus Christ’s love to everyone who knows her. I mean it! She has loved the unlovable, forgiven the worst offenders and given everyone the benefit of the doubt. She even showed nothing but love to her smart-mouthed teenage daughter (me), for goodness sake! :) (Sorry, Mom!) Seriously though, she is a great example of compassion, grace and patience. She often told me as a kid to treat others the way I wanted to be treated. She hasn’t just taught it with words, she’s lived it!

Despite the fact that she was a tired, over-worked, single mom when I was growing up, she always had time for me. She would listen to me; pray and cry with me; and hold me close when I was scared. Even though we live two states apart now, she continues that today by holding me up in prayer. I know that she’s always available with a listening ear and an open heart even though our conversations often have to be over the telephone. I can feel her warmth through the telephone line.

I don’t think I fully appreciated all the things my mom did…the caring, teaching, sacrificing and example setting…until I became a mother myself. I’m so, so very thankful that my mom taught me about Jesus…and not just with words. I’m so thankful for her unconditional love and support; complete acceptance and encouragement back then and now that I’m an adult as well! She will forever hold a special place in my heart…a place designated only for her. I am thankful that my son has such a godly heritage set in place by his grandmother.

Down through the years I have heard that I look quite a bit like my mom. However, I wish I “looked” more like her in ways where it really counts because looking more like her would mean looking more like Jesus.


"Her children stand and bless her..." Proverbs 31:38a

4 comments:

  1. Great words Rachel!! Have you shared this with your mom? I think she'd be honored and she deserves it!! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day. ~Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jill, Rachel. Your mom definitely needs to see this wonderful tribute. You are so blessed to have such a good mom. I'm sure you must be a close second, since she was such an outstanding example for you. :)

    Oh, and thank you for your encouraging, kind, comment. Believe it or not, posting just once every week is a lot of work for me, and sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the effort when I have so much else going on. I truly appreciate your sweet words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beauty for a mother. And what a beautiful tribute you wrote.
    Melanie@Bella~Mella

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is the most amazing person ever!! I think that she has one of the best souls in the world. I feel so lucky to have her as my aunt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!