Monday, February 1, 2010

Remind Me

I have been especially reminiscent lately. Probably because my “baby” turned 3 on Saturday. On top of that much of what I’ve been reading has to do with setting priorities and making the most of my time. I believe God is speaking something to my heart…again.

Yes, our son turned 3 on Saturday! THREE!! Leaving me again with the question, "Where have the last three years gone?"
John Deere tractor theme and choo choo engineer hat...what more could a guy ask for, right?!
People often tell us to enjoy these precious moments…reminding us of how quickly the time passes. I take their words of advice to heart. Yet, no matter how much I try to savor these moments or try not to "sweat the small stuff", time still passes all too quickly!


It doesn’t seem possible that it has been three years since we brought Andrew home from the hospital...


(It wasn't 01/06/2002. It was 02/01/2007. What a time for the date to mess up on the camera!)



Or almost 3 years since he stated flashing those first smiles...



Or 2 years and 2 months since he walked those first steps...



So today my heart echose the prayer of David in Psalm 39:4-7:
"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth with be. Remind me that my days are numbered - how fleeting my life is.

You have made my life no longer thatn the width of my hand. My entire life time is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.

We are merely shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it.

And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in you."

I would add:

Lord, thank you for showing me Your faithfulness in the past; giving me reason to expect more of the same in the future. I'm thankful that I know I can put my hope and trust in You!

Remind me of how important it is to live each and every day with purpose; setting priorities and living out the plan You have for my life.

Remind me that a very important and valuable part of that plan is mothering this precious child (and the one we will welcome in April as well) that you have given to me and my husband.  Help me to remember that if we teach him Your ways, we will leave a legacy that will far outlive us.

Hmmm...

The thought of how fleeting this life is would be a depressing one if I didn't know the One (the only One) that I can put my hope in.

I want to remember to run this race to win...to run with purpose in every step (I Cor 9:24-25).  So that when I come to the end of my life I can say as Paul did in I Timothy 4:7, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful."

So I finish my prayer...

Lord, give me the strength to run this race with discipline and diligence.  Remind me of what is truly important. Help me to cherish the blessings you have given me...and keep the proper perspective and priorities each day.

I thank you for blessing us with our son Andrew!  He is a gift from you and I feel honored to hav ethe opportunity to raise Him for You.  It is a pleasure to watch Him grow and learn.  Give us wisdom as we teach him Your ways.  May we be shining lights of Your glory in his life.  You are a great big, wonderful and gracious Father.  I love you!  Amen
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

6 comments:

  1. Aww, what a cutie-pie little guy you've got, Rachel. And what a fun theme! I'll bet he had a blast.

    I understand wondering where the time's gone. My baby is turning 30 in May. GULP. How on earth did THAT happen? Time really does fly.

    I love this: "Lord, give me strength to run this race with discipline and diligence. Remind me of what is truly important." All I can add to it is AMEN.

    Hope you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, thank you for sharing your pictures and giving us a glimpse behind the curtain into your life.
    Remember as a child how you couldn't WAIT to be older??? It's funny that time really does seem to speed up the older we get.
    I agree with you first comment...I love "Lord, give me strength to run this race with discipline and diligence". Willpower and the ability to finish the task.
    Blessings
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving shadows with an eternal pulse! It's what sets us apart from all other "life" on earth. Today, I am reminded to remember the moving shadows that God has so graciously scripted into my life. My 4 children, almost 21,18,9,7.

    Time is, indeed, a swift moving measure only matched by the joy and love crammed into each and every moment. I've been given many of them, and I am grateful.

    Your boy is beautiful.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well he has got to be the most adorable little guy in the world! Been thinking of you, praying for a glowing pregnancy, and a smooth delivery. Man, I can't wait to see those baby pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cutie pie! My "baby" will be 12 in 2 weeks!!! My other "child" will be getting her driver's permit this summer!!!!! Indeed, where does the time go? I loved your admonition to make it count.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog again :-). Making a decision to have a good winter attitude is certainly a large part of the battle and a good first step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing that will remind you of those first days with Andrew like going through it all over again with baby #2. Those pictures remind me of that precious time as well. (Especialy since Andrew is wearing Lance's clothes in one!) This is my first time reading your blog (I'm at the library of course, for once without kids) I think it is really cool. I want my own Beranville. -J.O.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!