Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Have You Ever Had One of Those...Months?


Well, have you?  Have you ever had one of those days...weeks...months?  You know, where everything seems to be going heywire?  I have.  In many ways, this January has been one of those months.

Let me share a few things that happened in Beranville this month:

The month started out with my husband, Alan, having an emergency appendectomy which included an overnight in the ER with no sleep for either of us, another night and day in the hospital and 2 week of "down time" for him as he recovered.  He is rarely "sick" so this was all new to me.  And, let me tell ya, it's hard to keep a hard-working farmer down. 

Dentist ~ 2 cavities (that I get filled tomorrow).

Sick kids ~ vomiting, diarrhea, earaches.  Then,  Alan, and I had a stomach bug at the same time.  We were up together in the middle of the night getting sick.  Not a bonding experience that I recommend. :)

A head cold that just won't go away.

Some issues with my oldest son, Andrew, that are too complicated to write about in a snip-it.

More doctors visits this month than our family normally has in 6 months. 

Stool samples for 4 tests, collected in 10 containers and ran to town 3 times in one week. The first samples I collected from my 21 month old's diaper in my minivan with two popsicle sticks and a rubber glove.  All the while, little Noah was saying "Ucky!" from his car seat in the back.  :)

Tons of research online.  Trying to "self-diagnose" 3 different people that I love.  Praying for healing for them... and several others in my life.

Then, the month ended today with blood work for Noah.  Another trip to the hospital.  The blood had to be taken from his arm and it took them 3 tries to hit a vein.  I felt terrible.

It's been a bit stressful.  Sometimes I handled the stress heroically, sometimes not so much.  But, I have been reminded again and again this month that, although I can't change my circumstance, I can choose my attitude.

I refer to these verses often: "Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."  I Thessalonians 5:16-18

And this past week these verses have been such a comfort to me: "This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for He faced all of the same testings we do, yet He did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most." Hebrews 4:15-16

His grace is all I need.  So I go to Him bodly, admitting my desperation for Him.  And He understands my weaknesses!  I can be thankful, even joyful in all circumstances.  I keep praying.  I keep pushing ahead in confidence.  I can choose a good attitude because I know His grace is sufficient and works best in my weakness (see II Cor 12:9).  I don't have to be perfect!

And I'm thankful, oh so thankful, that I can see all the good that took place this month too.  Lots of eye opening, growing moments.  The smiles, hugs and laughter.  Good cuddle time with the boys on sick days.  The fun family times in the midst of the craziness (like celebrating our Andrew's 5th Birthday).  The way I have been reminded of how much God loves me, and just how much I need Him! 

Tomorrow I will probably mess up again.  But I know where to turn for an attitude adjustment when I need it most...and I need it most, all of the time.  ;) 

Goodbye January.  Welcome February.  Another month, another chance to choose a good attitude, to accept His grace and to be grateful.  Yep, it's going to be one of those months! :)

What attitude will you choose?

1 comment:

  1. You are sooooo right, it is in how we handle it. It has been a trying January around here and I have had some moments I am not proud of in the stress of it all. You hit the nail right on the head. I really needed to hear this. YOu may not feel perfect, but you are pretty darn close in my eyes!! Love you. Thaks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!