Thursday, September 12, 2013

It All Begins In the Mind!


This week I started a new online study of "Prayers for a Woman's Soul" by Julie K. Gillies.

I've had this wonderful prayer devotional book for a while and have read it.  But I chose to do this study for three reasons:

1. I love Julie K. Gillies (and knew she would lead me the right way!)
2. I knew it would be profitable (time in prayer and God's Word always is!)
3. I knew I needed to get refocused on my prayer time (it's been a busy summer!)

As we started out the week focused on the topic of Chapter 1: My Mind, I knew this study was just what I needed.  :) God has done what He always seems to do, reestablished the message over and over throughout the week...at every turn!

Examples:

Through time in His Word He revealed to me a bad attitude I had toward a family member that began in my mind.

Through our mentor mom at MOPS I was reminded to discern fact from feeling (what is true?!) in relation to controlling our emotions, again something that begins in my mind.

Through a Christian radio program I was reminded that what I tell myself (in my mind) will affect every other part of my life.

Julie says that the enemy's plan is to consistently assault our minds until we surrender. She wrote, "The number-one way to resist the enemy is through prayer. Though the attacks against our mind can be subtle, God grants discernment when we ask Him."

It's true!  As I've focused on My Mind in prayer this week, He has revealed to me the negative mindsets that hinder not only my walk with Him, but every other relationship in my life.  Insecurity (self-focus), pride, negativity, anger, a critical spirit.  It all goes back to my mind!

Maybe you struggle with fear, worry, envy, comparison, lust.  Whatever your struggle, it goes back to your mind.  These negative mindsets must be replaced with the Truth that we find in His Word (the Holy Bible).  

We truly do need to take every thought captive and be transformed by the renewing of our minds through Christ.  And Julie is right when she says there is no better place to start than through prayer. When we ask for discernment and help, He is faithful to answer!

If you're interested in joining Julie's study (or would just like to read the first chapter of her book for yourself) check out this link.

"And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove that the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect."  
Romans 12:2

"So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace." 
Romans 8:6

P.S. Julie K. Gillies did not ask me to write a post about her study, I just felt led to this morning.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. It sounds like a study that I need to look into for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Rachel! Don't you love when God speaks to you everywhere! I'm sure the mind will get brought up Sunday as pastor Tim preaches as well!! I'm appreciating Julie's study as well...think I could spend the next 8 weeks on my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    Thank you for writing this awesome post about your mind. I'm so honored you are participating in my online study and love what God is showing you. God sure seems to be doing a deep work in our minds (thank God!) lol

    Honestly, the Lord is just flat-out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I love how Julie says "we can clean up a bad attitude fast. All we need is the ability to recognize our bad attitude, the willingness to accept responsibility, and a heart that is quick to repent." So thankful we can rely on the Spirit to renew our thoughts and attitudes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! My post was for week 2, our attitude...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!