Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Prayer for the Hurting

I shared in a previous post that I suffered with postpartum depression after my son was born. I was overjoyed to have a son, but 4 weeks after his birth depression hit hard. It was a time of darkness in my life that is hard to describe in words. If you've ever suffered from depression of any kind you are more likely to understand. If you haven't you may wonder how a Christian can find themselves in such a deep, dark pit. I wish I had all the answers, but I'm afraid I'm still learning myself. Please just know that it is very real...and can be devastating in a person's life. I hope to share more about this with you in a future post.

For now, I want to share this with you...

During that dark time in my life a good friend of my hand wrote the following prayer and mailed it to me. Her husband had received it from someone else when he was going through a trial of his own. The person who gave it to him apparently got it out of a book of prayers. I don't know what book it is from. I'd love to give credit where credit is due so if you know who published this prayer, please do share! I want to make it clear that I did NOT write this prayer!

The first time I read it I was almost offended by parts of it. Not only am I not the biggest fan of ritualistic type prayers, but when I read certain lines I thought, "Like I have control over this?!" But, the more I read it, the more powerful it became in my life. It gave me words to pray over myself when the words didn't fill my mind like they should...when I couldn't think clearly and didn't even know how I should be praying. I realized as I read it that it truly is a choice to praise God even in the midst of our pain when we feel like it the very least. That what I felt and what is true were two different things.

The friend that gave the prayer to me filled my name in the blank spaces. She promised that she would pray this prayer over me each day. When I prayed it over myself I entered either "me, myself or I" where appropriate.

Since then I have had the privilege of hand writing out this prayer for a few other friends and family members when they were going through a tough time. I promised (and did) pray this prayer over them each day until I saw a change in their situation. It has been such an honor and privilege to share it with them...and to pray it for them. Not only is the time taken to hand write it and deliver it appreciated; it's so reassuring to know that someone is praying for (and with) you. I have seen God move in these situations!

So today I want to share it with you. There is life-giving power in these words because they are so scriptural! Please read:

Lord,

Thank you for promising us a sound mind. I lay claim to that promise for _______. I pray that her mind be clear, alert, bright, intelligent, stable, peaceful and uncluttered. I pray there will be no confusion, no dullness, and no unbalanced, scattered, unorganized, or negative thinking. My she be renewed in the spirit of her mind (Ephesians 4:23) and have the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16).

I pray that _______ will so love the Lord with all her heart, soul and mind that there will be no room in her for the lies of the enemy or the clamoring of the world. May the Word of God take root in her heart and fill her mind with things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, and praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8).

I pray that _______ be given the gift of joy. Let the spirit of joy rise up in her heart this day and may she know the fullness of joy that is found only in Your presence. Help her to understand that true happiness and joy are found only in You.

Whenever she is overtaken by negative emotions surround her with your love. Teach her to say “this is the day the Lord has made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.” (Psalm 118:24) Deliver her from despair, depression, loneliness, discouragement, anger, and rejection. May these negative attitudes have no place in _______ nor be a lasting part of her life. May she decide in her heart, "My soul shall be joyful in the Lord, it shall rejoice in His salvation.” (Psalm 35:9)

I know that any negative emotions that _______ may feel are lies, contrary to the truth of Your Word. Plant Your Word firmly in her heart and increase her faith daily. Enable her to abide in your love and derive strength from the joy of the Lord, today and forever.

~AMEN~

If you're going through a valley in life and don't have the words to say to God at this moment, try praying this prayer over yourself...until both life and words return. If it helps you don't keep it for yourself, pass the blessing on. Share it with the next hurting person who comes across your path. Only God knows how He may use it!

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and a sound mind"

II Timothy 1:7

If you need prayer I would feel honored to pray with you. E-mail me: rachel.beran@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this prayer! I am going to use it for sure...

    Thanks too for your prayers...
    And, please stop by my blog... I just posted a poem that I wrote today, as I was writing the post... choose to praise. That's what I am doing. Praising God for the answered prayer in my life... and in the lives of those around me.

    Oh, read psalm 116. it is amazing! I prayed through it this morning, made it mine. Powerful stuff.

    God bless,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been there. I understand too well what depression can do to your soul. Thank you for the prayer. I help facilitate a weekly depression support group and I am going to share this with the ladies.

    Blessings to you,

    Cazandra
    http://oozingeveryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful prayer of strength and encouragement. Thank you for sharing it with us all. I'm so glad that it came to you in your time of deep need. What a gift of friendship and grace.

    Thanks for checking in. Blessings to you in your weekend.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. A powerful prayer based on the Word.
    Melanie@Bella~Mella

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. What a powerful prayer...I LOVE it!

    My first two children were born and I recovered 100% fine. But when my daughter was born (by then I was 34) I fought severe anemia, thyroid stuff AND post-partum depression. It was, simply put, the darkest time of my life. I slowly emerged, and by the time she was 6 months old I recovered. But not without amazing compassion for every woman who endures such a difficult time.

    Thanks for sharing your testimony and this wonderful prayer, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!