Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thanks-giving Thursday

Well, it’s Thursday and that means it’s Thanks-giving Thursday here in Beranville. :)

It has come to my attention that I’m not the only one giving thanks on Thursdays here in Blog World. Just two days ago I visited Joy Comes In The Morning for the first time. Not sure how I came across her blog, but Yolanda hosts Thankful Thursday every week. Very good! I honestly had no idea about this until two days ago. Anyway, I’m not surprised that someone else thought of the idea first. There are so many creative (and grateful) people out there. Regardless of who else is doing it, I want to share my attitude of gratitude with you today. Hope that’s okay.

"...let the Holy Spirit fill and control you. Then you will sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, making music to the Lord in your hearts. And you will always give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 18b-20
1. For dial-up internet
Anyone who knows me very well has probably heard me complain about our very slow dial-up internet service. Not only is it slow; it’s unreliable. Many times before I can even get logged into my e-mail, I have already been kicked off of the internet. It’s very frustrating. So, you may say, why are you thankful for that?

Last week when we had our Rise and Shine Retreat meeting, one of the gals shared with us about her recent missionary trip to Haiti. As I listened to her share with us about the conditions in Haiti, I felt such conviction in my heart. I was reminded of just how spoiled I am. We live in such abundance here in the U.S.

Although I consider myself a rather grateful person in general, as I thought about it I realized how often I grumble about “wants” and call them needs. I think I need wireless internet which by the way won’t be available in our area for another couple of months (yes, we really do live in the “sticks”). Really, I don‘t need wireless internet, I just want it (badly). I should be grateful to have internet at all…or to even have a computer…a home…that has electricity. Just think about it!

I don’t know about you, but I so often take for granted the everyday things of life like nutritious food, a solid home, a warm bed, an abundance of clothing to wear and shoes for our feet, a feeling of safety, freedom to worship in whatever way we choose, etc.

I believe the key to truly being grateful is contentment. Our society tells us that we need MORE, MORE, MORE to be happy! We want everything bigger, better and faster. It’s easy to believe that the next thing will bring us the contentment we’re seeking. Paul tells us in Philippians 4:11-13 that true contentment comes only from a personal relationship with Jesus Christ…and seeking His priorities. He's the only one who can fill the longing in our heart.

Paul learned the secret of contentment. He encouraged young Timothy to strive for contentment. In I Timothy 6:6-8 he wrote:

Yet true religion with contentment is great wealth. After all, we didn’t bring anything with us when we came into the world, and we certainly cannot carry anything with us when we die. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.

Today I will focus on all the blessings God has given me instead of focusing on the things I want that I do not have yet (I may still get them, Lord willing. I just don’t want my focus to be on them). This doesn't mean that I give up on my dreams or don't work hard to achieve my goals. It just means that my contentment will not be based on them.

I will thank Him for all He has done for me. I will thank Him for all the good gifts He has given me. I will thank Him for all the good things He has planned for me in the future. I will thank Him for the contentment He has placed in my heart. I will thank Him that we have dial-up internet…rather than no internet at all.
2. For my lilac tree
Just look at it...

It looks pretty. It smells pretty.

This tree is in our front yard. Yet, we can smell it when we walk out our back door…or when we are all the way across the road. We have lilac bushes also and we like them, but they’re not quite as fragrant as this little guy. I wish I could bottle up it’s fragrance and e-mail it to you. It’s so delightful. :) I thank God for His awesome creation!

3. For the things God teaches me through my son
I’m learning so much through being the mommy of this little guy…






That may sound strange. I’m the one who’s suppose to be teaching him, right?! Well, it seems I’m learning as much as he is these days. It’s so interesting how the parent/child relationship compares to our Father/child relationship with God.


Let me give you an example:
Today I broke the refrigerator door handle off. Not so good. It’s going to cost $30 to replace it. Anyway, Andrew was very concerned about what happened to the refrigerator handle. I told him that I broke it. He said, “I tell my daddy to fix it.” (DHmmm…I said, “How about we ask daddy to fix it instead of telling him. Daddy would like that better.” Andrew happily agreed. :)
Later as I thought about our conversation, I asked myself, “How often do I go to God in prayer, wanting Him to “fix” a situation for me. Then, I tell Him what to do, instead of asking Him to do what is best for me?” The truth is most of the time I have NO IDEA what the right thing is…only what I think the right thing is. How much more pleased would God be if I went to Him more often saying, “Not my will, but yours Lord.”
Thank you for teaching me Your ways through my relationship with my son, Lord!

What are you thankful for today? Has there been something this week that has really stood out to you? What is something you tend to overlook or take for granted? What will you do this week to keep your attitude of gratitude in check? Please share.

Let’s try to remember to seek contentment, stop and smell the roses (or lilacs), look for those learning lessons in everyday life and take the time to be thankful; making music to the Lord in our hearts…not just on Thanks-giving Thursday, but every day.

2 comments:

  1. http://truth4thejourney.blogspot.com/

    Rachel,

    Howdie from Kansas to Iowa! I wil be back as well, but I needed to clear up the Thankful Thursdays. It is hosed by Sonya and I listed her blog address up above, but I have participated for about 6-8 months now. I love giving God praise!

    You might enjoy....Higher Grounds.

    Lovingly,
    Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am learning about contentment when I am placed where God wants me to be, not where I want to be. Loved this post and loved the reminder to look around to see what I can give thanks for!!

    Thank you also for your kind words and encouragement over the last few weeks. I have really appreciated it!

    Blessings,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!