Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stop that Whining!

Noah (13 mo) is teething. His gums are swollen. His diapers are icky. His little bottom is sore. I feel bad for him.

A few days ago, our normally very pleasant little man was rather whiney. Not sure why, but Andrew (4) seemed to join him in his whining spell.

Although I felt sorry for Noah and I love my children more than words can express, by that afternoon, I was feeling, let’s say, a bit stressed.

I started talking to the Lord, “Do you hear these kids? I don’t know how much more whining I can take. I mean, I’m doing everything I can for them and it still doesn’t seem good enough. They don’t appreciate all I do for them…blah, blah, blah.”

You get the picture. Yep, before I knew it, I realized I was having a big ol’ pity party for little ol’ me, me, me.

Suddenly it occurred to me…I was whining to my Heavenly Father about my children whining to me! Oh boy! I know God isn’t a human like me, but I can just imagine if He were, He would have been rolling His eyes at me. (Glad He doesn’t do that!)

Honestly, what do I have to whine about?! God has blessed me and my family!! He’s done so much for us! Why would I grumble to Him?

It’s amazing how quickly I can let my emotions get away from me. When I get worn down, tired or stressed, I can too easily lose perspective. Something so very small can temporarily steal my joy. Have you ever been there?

I have two GREAT kids! They’re healthy, precious and beautiful! They are a BLESSING from Him! It is an honor to be their mommy and to be able to stay home with them each day. Oh, and normally, they aren’t whiney children either.  :)

I have a fabulous, hard working, supportive husband...a nice home...great friends...clothes…food…even a sleep number bed.  :)  My list of blessings goes on and on.

The greatest blessing: I have a Savior! A Savior who died for me, so that I don’t have to. A Savior who loves me, protects me, blesses me. A Savior whose very own Holy Spirit dwells inside of me, leading me every day. I don’t have to navigate life alone.

All of the above are God’s abundant blessings! Reasons not to whine…ever. He has shown His faithfulness to me over and over. Now, to remember!

I knew that day that I needed to refocus, to stop the whining, so I could count my blessings! I changed my whiney prayer into a prayer of thanksgiving. Although our struggles and blessings are undoubtedly not the same, will you join me in thankfulness?

Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances…
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

Lord, thank you for all the blessings in my life and for loving me despite my whining. Please give me the patience that I need to lovingly parent my children. Please remind me that no matter what’s going on in my life, whether something big or something small that threatens my joy, that you are a faithful, loving Father. Help me to keep perspective, to recognize the blessings from You all around me and to be thankful. And I pray the same for my dear reading friends as well. Amen.

Tell me, what are you thankful for today? I would enjoy hearing from you.

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, I have often realized I was whining about someone else whining and it's so shocking! My whining seems to reasonable and their whining seems unreasonable. Isn't that crazy? So thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, because I have caught myself doing this same thing, many times. Like I always say to Sebastian; As long as you learn from your mistakes, then the mistakes are well worth it!:)I'm thankful for a God that knows our hearts and who forgives us for all our wrongs as soon as we ask him:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to become unhuman on the other side!!! So thankful with you that HE understands that we are dust...
    :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!