Friday, June 14, 2013

Listen to Me!

He takes my face in his chubby toddler hands, turns my head toward his and says in frustration, "Mommy, you not listening to me!"  As he presses his button nose against mine, his big, blue eyes widely peering into mine, I suddenly realize all I've been missing.  I heard him, I did.  But my mind was all awhirl with my own agenda, the to-do-list, the responsibilities of a mom, wife and leader.  He worked so hard to get my attention.   Yet, my eyes were fixed elsewhere, my mind even further away.  I was distracted by the every day stuff of life.


Guilt sets in because I know, I know, these days are fleeting.  These days of childhood craziness, piles of laundry, dirty faces (and everything else) and "Mommy, look!" every three minutes will pass too quickly.  I know he and his big brother are growing, changing.  In a blink they will be ready to set out into the world as adolescents, then teenagers, then men, not boys.  These are precious times, meant to be lived fully.

I want to listen.  I do.  But so much is vying for my time, my attention, my affection.

I remind myself to stop!  To listen.  To really listen.  Not only to the chubby cheeked boy with my face in his hands, but to all of those I love, especially to the One who probably wishes He could sometimes grab me like my three year old does!   You know the One who always listens to me.  He could say, "Listen to Me!  Fix your eyes on Me.  You're so distracted by the every day stuff of life."

Today I will take the time to be still, to quiet my mind and listen.  Really listen.  How about you?

Lis-ten (lis-uh-n): verb
1. to give attention with the ear; attend closely for the purpose of hearing; give ear.
2. to pay attention; heed; obey.


My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me.  John 10:27

Today I'm joining Lisa-Jo Baker for 5 Minute Friday.  This is when I "just write without worrying if it's just right or not. For five minutes flat, without editing, tweaking or self-critiquing".  Today's word is Listen.  Follow the link below to see what others had to say about this...or to join in on the writing fun.


7 comments:

  1. That was beautiful! Very similar to what I wrote about today for FMF, but said much better! :) Blessings on you as you listen to your boys!
    Tina @ Mommynificent

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mom I can relate! Life is so distracting and responsibilities beckon sometimes louder then the sound of our own children's voices. But to remember to stop and really listen. To embrace this time when they still want our attention. This is the struggle of a mom.

    Christy @ A Heartening Life
    www.ahearteninglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rachel, I get this! Many people and things pull (and sometimes) scream for out attention, but who do we listen to? If we'd listen to God, the most important voice, we'll be much quicker to prioritze the others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally understand the fight of a mom to slow down and truly listen to her children. I've been guilty of turning my gaze their direction, but not truly hearing them. I want to hear them, loud and clear, and to hear Jesus even louder. Thanks for visiting me from the Five Minute Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very true!!! When you say it like that, that the God of the Universe grabs our faces sometimes and says "listen to me!!" like your three year old...well, it makes me think that maybe I ought to do that more often! ;) Thanks for sharing your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Rachel! First time visiting your blog from FMF. I love that we had the exact same thing placed on our heart! It is so hard to listen at times but keeping our focus where it should be on HIM all else will fall into place. :) Have a great Monday friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way kids get their busy parents attention... so creative and sweet.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!