Monday, October 14, 2013

Sufficient Grace...Even When Road Rage Creeps Up

The driver pulled right out in front of me.  How could she not see me?!  She had to have seen me in the left lane, passing another driver in the right lane, going 65 mph down the highway.  But she came flying across the other two lanes going the opposite direction and then right into my lane.  I had to slam on my brakes.  I mean SLAM.  Out of no where an old habit creeped up.  Something I hadn't done in a long time.  Something that I swore I'd never do again.  Out of complete frustration and anger, I laid on the horn and mumbled under my breath something not loving.

Immediately, I felt guilty.  I remembered the MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) sticker on the back of my van.  The one the car I just passed most likely saw.  The one the driver of the car I just honked at was about to see as she pulled into the right lane and I passed her.  I remembered my witness.  I remembered the God I serve, my desire to represent Him well and the grace He's shown me over and over and over again.


"His grace is sufficient."  It's easy to talk about grace while sitting in the pew or with my Bible open in study.  But what about in real life, everyday situations I face...like this one?  How do I live it out?  It's not just for me, but for everyone.

If the God of all grace lives in me (and He does), He has filled me with His Holy Spirit, and I have no obligation to live in the flesh.  His grace is enough.  His grace can be extended through me, the kind that pardons the guilty and blesses the unworthy.

I am reminded of how much I have been forgiven.  I remember my own shortcomings...even pulling out in front of someone a time or two, and much greater offenses.  I relish His grace and the grace of others when I am at fault.  I am reminded that I don't know the driver's circumstances.  But I know her need for grace.

I can extend His "abundance of grace."  His supply never runs out.  Not for me, not for others.

So I ask for forgiveness again.  I accept His grace and stop beating myself up.  I forgive, extending grace.  I pray for that driver.  And I pray that I will be more gracious the next time road rage seeks to creep in because I'm seeking to live out His grace in real life.  That means keeping my hand off the horn and my heart and mind pure.

How can you extend grace today?  How can  you accept His grace today?  His grace is sufficient!

"The grace of the Lord is poured out on us abundantly."  
I Timothy 1:4

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Very real. it is hard because you are right, we do sing about grace and talk about it on Sundays, but then Monday comes and we are tested. I'm glad God gently reminds us of things like this. He isn't out to condemn, but to gently convict. His heart is so full of love towards us and others, always extending grace. I'm challenged as well to be graceful in my words, my thoughts, and my actions towards others. Good post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, I struggle w/this very thing, easily irritated by what other drivers do and each time I think, where's that grace that the Lord has shown you? What a great reminder of our Heavenly Father's grace and how we can and should be extending that to others!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!