Saturday, July 25, 2009

Unconditional Love

A couple of months ago a stray cat showed up at our house. She was quite a site. She was undernourished, unloved and missing part of her ears (probably from being frostbit). My 2 year old son, Andrew, didn’t care. He loved her instantly. He carried her around like a baby and would say, “Aw, baby!”

One day he claimed her as his own, “That’s my kitty, Mommy.” I said, “What’s your kitty’s name?” Out of no where he said, “Cookie.” Hmm…don’t know where he came up with that one, but okay, that’s a great name, Cookie. She’s been Cookie ever since. Andrew started telling everyone about his adopted kitty, Cookie.

Two year old boys can be rather rough, you know? The way Andrew lavishes love upon Cookie isn’t always gentle, but she doesn’t seem to mind. She doesn’t hiss or scratch. She’s pretty easy going. I sense that she’s just glad that someone finally loves her, pets her, pays attention to her…and feeds her too. Andrew and Cookie have become great companions.

Here they are...
and no he's not choking her, even though it may look that way! :)
Just happily taking her along with him.




Since Cookie has been with us I’ve heard quite a few negative remarks about her looks, but none of them from Andrew. As I said before, she’s not the prettiest thing. However, as I also stated, Andrew doesn’t care. He loves her without condition. Never once has he mentioned her looks…her skinny body, crooked leg or deformed ears. Never once has he questioned her intelligence. Never once has he compared her to other cats. Never once has he asked where she came from. Nope, all he cares is that she’s here now. He loves her and so those things don’t matter.

Does that sound like someone else you know?

Like Andrew, Jesus doesn’t care about our looks, are short-comings or our intellect (besides he made us just the way we are!!!). He doesn’t compare us to others. He doesn’t care where we’ve been, what we’ve done or how ratty we look when we come to Him.

Sometimes we think we’ve gone too far, have done too much or are too bad to come to Him. The truth is, it doesn’t matter where we’ve been or what we’ve done because there is nothing too hard for Him! Besides, He already knows these things. He knows our hearts. Yet, He promises to love and forgive us! He wants to adopt us as part of His family…co-heirs with Him. Yes, He loves us unconditionally!

Unlike Andrew with Cookie, Jesus IS gentle with us. We can go to Him with any problem, an foible, any failure. Just as Andrew always has time for Cookie, He always has time for us…because He loves us. He wants to bless us, but we have to humble ourselves before Him.

“When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on him, he will lift you up and give you honor.”
James 4:10

How awesome is that?!

Do you believe that:
He loves YOU? He wants to make YOU clean? He is loving and gentle…and eager to forgive? Look at these verses:

“And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can’t, and life can’t. The angels can’t, and the demons can’t. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can’t keep God’s love away.”
Romans 8:38

“No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it. I can make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson. I can make you as white as wool. If you will only obey me and let me help you…”
Isaiah 1:18-19a

“Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and merciful. He is not easily angered. He is filled with kindness and is eager not to punish you.”
Joel 2:12 & 13

I pray that each of you reading have already found the companionship of Jesus Christ AND are enjoying it much like Andrew and Cookie enjoy one another. Even if you’ve been “born again” it is all too easy to lose sight of who you are in Christ. I pray that you are experiencing the peace and satisfaction that a life spent with Him provides. I pray that your life has been filled with His love…and life-giving Spirit.

Perhaps you are feeling alone and searching for love much like I imagine Cookie was before she came to us. What’s stopping you from humbly running into the arms of a forgiving Savior? He’s gentle, kind and full of unconditional love. He wants to adopt YOU, become YOUR companion and make YOU great!

Now you can read Unconditional Love Part 2

Need someone to listen, have questions? E-mail me:
rachel.beran@yahoo.com

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Rachel. This was so beautifully written. You are a gifted writer. I love the story and picture of Andrew and Cookie. : )

    Thanks for blessing my heart today. I have a lot of posts to catch up on, but do you mind if I link to this story later from my blog?

    Did Jill tell you we met at She Speaks? I had so much fun getting to know her. Now I can't wait to meet you in real life! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture...in more ways than one.
    Melanie@Bella~Mella

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'm Everyday Becky's cousin and clicked a link from her blog. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great... beautifully stated... would you be interested in linking it up in my weeken thoughts carnival tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling picture and story. I love how kids love animals--they don't even care about the smell, mess, or dog hairs on the furniture. Becky's mom

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!