Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Perfect Body

What is a perfect body?  In this modern day culture we have all kinds of images thrown at us.  From airbrushed magazine covers to plastic filled movie stars, we're told what "real" beauty looks like.  Young girls sense it from an early age.  We become increasingly aware as we mature.  We've been looking at these images (and more and more of them all the time) from the earliest we can remember.  It's easy to see where our culture places beauty on the importance scale.  It's also easy to see how our value is often linked to our image.

This year I've made a commitment to focus on my health, taking steps toward a healthier lifestyle.  I even started a second blog about my health journey.  As a result of greatly cutting out refined food, unnatural sugars and other things and adding in more "real" food as well as a little extra exercise, I've lost a few pounds.  That feels good.   But...a perfect body?   Is that possible?  What is a perfect body anyway?

Hey, I've under slept and overeaten most of my life.  I've had surgeries, and I proudly display various battle scars.  By golly, I've even carried and given birth to two 8 and a half pound babies.  This body ain't never going to be "perfect" again. Not that it really ever was, not according to the standards of the world.  I've never been the Hollywood type.  Reality, I never will be.  Perfect is an illusion when it comes to looks.   

The problem is, our culture changes the definition of perfect every time we turn around. Not only that, we tend to change our definition too.

So, I think the true question is how does God define a perfect body?  Because, really, He's the One we are here to glorify, not others or self.  Right?!

Before I go any further, I have to tell you, I believe God shows us clearly in His Word that He expects us to care for the "temple" He's given us.  It's obviously not right to abuse our bodies...and then expect them to work well for us.  We need to be good stewards of what God's given us.  That includes our body.  If we want a healthy body, one that's well and able to do the work He's called us to do, then we will need to take the time to care for it as we should.  Sooo...what I'm about to write is not an excuse to neglect the outside.  Rather, it's a reminder to focus first on what's on the inside, then work outward.  :)

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

So, I ask again, how does God define a perfect body?  I think He sees a perfect body as one indwelled by His Holy Spirit!  A soul empty of self, acceptable for His inhabitanance.  Now, that's a body He can use!
 
Turns out I can dress up the outside, workout 'til I'm blue in the face and eat every healthy vegetable I can find and still find myself with a hollow, ugly body in God's eyes.  Cellulite, decay and deficiency of the heart. 

Isn't that just like us humans, getting all caught up in the perishable things we can see while losing sight of the truly important, eternal things?  We need to focus!  God is looking for bodies He can use.  People who will die to self and walk in the Spirit.   God's Son, Jesus, came and gave His body so we could, not only have eternal life, but abundant life now.  We must give up our life to gain it.  Not that we're always going to get it right, we're not.  But we must choose to die to self, over and over again, so that Christ can live through us. 

Although I'm about 100% sure I'll never reach the world's "perfect body" definition, I now realize I can have a perfect body in God's eyes!  I can be a body He can indwell and use for His glory! 

What a joy to know when He looks at me, He doesn't see what everyone else sees.  He sees my heart, His templeMy body, His image.  I can love my body, so called flaws and all, because He does.  And His definition of perfection never changes. :)

But the LORD said....The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." I Samuel 16:7

Friend, you can have a perfect body too!  :)

And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:1-2

Today I'm linking up with the Jill Savage's Hearts at Home Blog Hop.  Click the link below to read more of what others had to say on this subject.

 

5 comments:

  1. Well said! Thank you for such an encouraging post. I enjoyed all the scripture you used to show others what God thinks about our bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. It is good to know that while our outward person is wasting away, our inner person is being renewed day by day. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I LOVE your perspective here! Thanks for reminding me that the PERFECT ONE dwells in my imperfect body. So glad He can shine through my flaws and He doesn't mind a few stretch marks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been poking around your blog today too! I think I'm going to add it to my "blogs I read" list! ;) This is a good word. I've recently lost weight and it has been freeing for me, I have more energy and feel better. But...sometimes when the scales go up again (after a bad week, or water gain), I get in "beat myself up" mode, where I forget that the main focus of my body being healthy is for Him. Not for myself, but so I can fulfill what He wants me to do. Thanks for this reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from you!